Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Kickoff and Training

This post is meant to serve two purposes: to kickoff this new blog and to talk about the beginning of training. The reason I've come to blogspot for this journal is because I think it is friendlier for non-members. Lately, lj has been a real pain in the ass, making me watch ads before I open other people's posts. I think blogspot won't do that (and, really, it's probably unlikely that I will be compiling a massive friends' list here). Using this journal, I can keep bike rides and cycling-related thoughts (because I have oh-so many of those) separate from any other assorted thoughts, and provide a place for friends to follow my training, at least for this year. I know this is fascinating for everyone.

Training started this weekend. I was supposed to do 14 and 10 mile rides on Saturday and Sunday, respectively, but because of stupid shingles and a fun bridal shower for Ronnell on Saturday, the rides got pushed to Sunday and Monday instead.

I will say I was pleasantly surprised that my endurance and strength are where they are. Given that, in Atlanta, I only really have been commuting ~5.5 mi round trip for the last few months, and, though hilly, I can never really get up to speed because of all the stop lights and signs. Imagine my surprise, then, when the 15 mile ride on Sunday went so fast, like nothing. I wasn't even out of breath. And, I'll say that it was incredible to just go and ride without having to stop every few yards. This is what cycling is all about.

On Monday I rode with Alex, one of my best friends from high school. We rode the canal again, because our bikes aren't really matched. It was a fun ride and it was nice to ride with someone and to catch up. We will probably ride again throughout this month that I'm home and I look forward to that. Alex has been running a lot (frequency- and distance-wise), but I hate running. It's nice that we can bike together, and that she's so willing to join me. My dad, on the other hand, is supposed to be getting ready for the 15 mi option for the local Tour de Cure for Diabetes. He's been almost impossible to get on the bike. Today is his last final, though, so I hope that means he'll be more eager to ride. It's doubtful, as he's more likely to blow his time playing golf.

Anyway, the stats for this weekend's rides:

Sunday (15 mi):
Maximum speed: 28.9 mph
Average speed: 15.7 mph
Distance: 15.51 mi
Time: 0.59.01

Monday (10 mi):
Maximum speed: 25.3 mph
Average speed: 12.2 mph
Distance: 10.56 mi
Time: 0.51.44

Sunday, especially, is remarkable because, as I said, I haven't really ridden any distances this year. It was nice to see that the little commutes I've made this year have actually built up a suitable base, to the point where I can go out and do (admittedly short, but longer than usual) rides at a good clip. I normally start a season at around 13 mph, so 15 is great.

No comments:

Post a Comment