Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Ideas for Letters


Mrs. Short (5th grade teacher extraordinaire) was disappointed that I didn't go into writing. I'll throw her a bone today with some brainstorming.

Idea 1: A letter to the administrators of Georgia State University, which has come a long way in reputation.  It has a long way to go in actual education, however, if my own two eyes are to be believed (they are). Evidence: students regularly cross 5 lanes of traffic, against traffic and against traffic signals, like lemmings. They do this en masse, without any regard for the trucks, cars, and bikes barreling down on them along Marietta Street.

I understand crossing against a signal in the absence of any traffic. I do not understand crossing against a signal in the presence of high volumes of traffic. I super don't understand crossing against a signal in the presence of high volumes of traffic in multiple lanes in both directions when one is the straggler in a group and not in the bigger mass. What the hell are you thinking? Are you thinking? This isn't the African wilds, and you aren't a wildebeest. You are going to get crushed.

Idea 2:  A letter to the idiot riding a bike (possibly with headphones, I hadn't time to notice) on the sidewalk along North Avenue just now. I noticed him just in time to not hit him WITH MY OWN BIKE, as he didn't stop to see if there was oncoming traffic (there was, and it was I) before entering the crosswalk across Cherry Street. I was mid-turn and all the sudden there he was right in front of me. I had time to get out "dude, ride on the road", which he didn't appear to register, before riding away.

Again, what the hell are you thinking? Are you thinking? This isn't elementary school, and you aren't a child. You are going to hit someone.

Whenever I see people riding on the sidewalk I want to ask how old they are and what they want to be when they grow up, because maybe they're just overgrown 12-year-olds. Of course, when I was 12 I knew better than to ride on the sidewalk, but not everyone had the benefit of having my dad for a father.

No comments:

Post a Comment