Monday, August 23, 2010

Training Rides - Saturday and Sunday, 21-22 August

On Saturday we didn't have our usual long GTR, as it was the TNT All Sports Group Training Session (and picnic!) We met at the Galloway School in Sandy Springs. I say we met, but really I showed up late because I couldn't figure out where to park and 3 miles up I85 I had to turn back to the apartment because I'd forgotten every possible form of ID I could carry. I called C and he hung back and waited for me. Good thing, too, because without riding with him (and E, who we eventually ended up with), we would've ridden at least the full 25 miles and a killer hill, instead of foregoing that hill (and five miles in the bargain) and going only 19 miles. There were plenty of hills without the one, and certainly more than enough on the ride on Sunday to make up for it, so I wouldn't say I missed it in any way. (Apparently, it varied between 9 and 10% grade which, in a word, blows.)

Stats (Saturday):
Maximum speed: 32.4 mph
Average speed: 13.1 mph
Distance: 19.35 mi
Time: 1.28.25

It was slower than I would have liked, but still a pleasant ride. Sunday's ride was also slow. I rode with R ("partner") and it was very enjoyable until about mile 45, at which point we hit the hills in Vinings/Sandy Springs (where we rode out of) and the heat and sun finally made themselves known. It was basically the same route that we'd taken during my last GTR before vacation, except with more hills (we started farther north) and 10 fewer miles of flat (no Silk Sheets). So, in a ride that was 10 miles shorter, we had more hills and fewer flats, so it was suck. It started nice and overcast and cool, but even when the sun first came out it wasn't too hot. As I said, it was only the last 15 miles or so that we began hating it. I don't feel bad for going so slowly because of all the hills. R and I decided that they picked such a crappy route so that next week (the Big Event) would be a breeze by comparison. I'd do 100 flat/rolling miles over 62 hilly miles any day. I am also, again, grateful for not deciding to do the Six Gap century, because that would suck a nut.

Stats (Sunday):
Maximum speed: 39.5 mph (wheeeee! that was on the way out)
Average speed: 13.1 mph
Distance: 61.70 mi
Time: 4.42.05

I'm so excited for the ride this weekend! Go Team!

No comments:

Post a Comment