Monday, July 25, 2011

Two Rides - Thursday, 21 July and Sunday, 24 July

This past Thursday wasn't a ride as much as it was a mini-brick for H and me. I convinced her to come to Brookhaven to get more time on some hills and roads. Our plan was to do one 10-mile loop and then run a mile or two afterward. The sky was ominous, and the distant thunder and lightning even more so, so we opted to do the front 5-mile loop twice (just in case). H still is getting used to the lightness and responsiveness of her bike (and to the clipless pedals), so we took it easy and had a good ride, without real incident. We then changed shoes and started to run, but because of gulping down 20+ oz of water over 3 or 4 stops on the ride, H got a stitch early on that just wouldn't work out. We still managed a mile.

Bike stats:

Maximum speed: 25.3 mph
Average speed: 12.0 mph
Distance: 9.53 mi
Time: 0.47.13

I felt good. I didn't work too hard, but because I was able to run pretty easily after the ride and feel good, I am much more confident about the tri in August. I know it'll still be a challenge to put it all together, but I'm looking forward to it, for sure.

===

I commuted on Friday, and besides saying that I get my hackles up every time I go near the overpass where the guy challenged me, it was uneventful.

===

Sunday, I was the nominal leader of the KSR, which had another good turnout. I really like meeting the new people and the regulars who join us. I was feeling fishy (possibly residual from Thursday's brick and a late night Saturday) and weak, but V, L, and P were pulling up the rear so I had good company for the duration.

Stats:

Maximum speed: 78 (damn computer)
Average speed: 13.0 mph
Distance: 30.59 mi
Time: 2.19.57

Like I said, I didn't feel great, but I really enjoyed the ride.

I spent a good portion of the weekend meeting a few of G's friends, who are pretty cool people. In all, it's been a positive several days.

No comments:

Post a Comment