Monday, January 14, 2013

Last week and a day - all in one place (here)

Last week was one of ups and downs, as far as training is concerned. I felt pretty OK on the ride on Sunday (the 6th), but not OK enough to do any loops around the park. It was chilly enough where I just wanted to turn right back around, though the sun came out long enough for brunch to be enjoyable. I ran without fanfare on Tuesday and then again on Wednesday, though on Wednesday I came up a couple of miles short of what I was supposed to do because of the group I ended up running with.

I did not run on Thursday (I didn't feel amazing).

Saturday the marathon training distance was 12 miles, but I - like so many people on the team - was schedule to run a 15k the next morning and so I ran 4 miles with the half-marathoners. C ran the full 12 and did great and we had a lovely time eating lunch at Panera.

Saturday stats:
Average pace: 10:38 (10:42) min/mi
Distance: 4.00 mi
Time: 0.42.52
Average Heart Rate: I think the battery in the strap died because it didn't record anything.

I changed the battery out Saturday night, thinking that that could also have caused some of the weird readings from the last few excursions.

After four solid miles in the heat and humidity we were soaked.
I'm especially excited because, while I was waiting for C to finish her run, I talked with Coach K about cycling during the week, specifically adding my commutes to and from school to the training schedule. I had been worried that it would be considered to be too much to do both cycling and running on TR, but she said that, given my solid base, it wouldn't be a problem, especially since the commute is fairly low-key. She also said that on Thursdays after longer (8- and 10-mile) runs on Wednesday to just do the ride to allow for some recovery, but otherwise it wouldn't be an issue and would probably make me even stronger and better on the runs. I'll take that!

On Sunday I ran my second-ever organized race, which was also the second-longest distance I've ever run: the Hot Chocolate 15K. It was very well organized and there were hundreds of volunteers. I was actually pretty impressed. The sweatshirt is awesome (I've worn it every day since I got it, and in fact am wearing it right now) and the hot cocoa at the end was surprisingly welcome, given the 70 degree temperature. It was, indeed, a hot chocolate race. LKK from high school came up from Columbus, GA on Saturday to spend the night before the race (she did the 5k and then in the afternoon ran ANOTHER 5k in Columbus), and it was nice to catch up in a non-timed or hurried manner.

Sunday stats:
Average pace: 10:25 (10:30) min/mi
Distance: 9.44 mi
Time: 1.38.19 (1.39.08)
Average Heart Rate: 183 (238).

My heart rate was all over the place again, right before the race started it had gotten down to the 80s and 90s, which was believable given the excitement of the afternoon, but I still can't believe that it averaged over 200 for the first two miles (according to the chart). After about four miles it appears to have been much better calibrated. I've adjusted its positioning, changed the battery, washed the strap, wet the strap, tightened the strap, everything I could think of. I do wonder if it gets thrown off by signals from other heart rate monitors.

I had a good time with the run, felt great during it and had some kick at the end (which to me is a sign of energy well expended). I was very hungry during the race, so I was glad to have both worn a cycling tank with a pocket on the back and put a pack of honey stingers in it. D and P ALSO had a great event, running the entirety of the 15k despite a rash of injuries and illnesses since the holidays that had severely limited their training time.

Apparently it's only a cycling trick to bring a complete change of
clothes for after an event. I got oddball looks, but was dry and warm.

I was a little disappointed with the finisher's mug, because it was compartmentalized (which did, at least, make carrying the hot cocoa and fondue easier) and plastic, not an actual (ceramic) mug. I threw mine out because it was sticky and there wasn't room for it in my bag and I was going to ride MARTA where (unknown to me ahead of time) a man would make an incredibly surprising and inappropriate gesture toward me.

No comments:

Post a Comment