Sunday, February 10, 2013

Last week and this week: An uneventful twofer

Last week I ran my longest mileage ever. EVER. I ran 16 miles with J, whom I first mentioned all the way back in December when P and I did 5 (6?) together from the church. She hadn't been back to a GTS since then because of bronchitis. Ugh. I'm glad she was there last weekend, though, because I wouldn't have had anyone to run with at my pace, and she was great company and very funny.

My left foot had started to bother me the Tuesday before (4 days) the long run, but I didn't think much of it and did my TR runs as planned. It made it easier for J and I to shuffle along.

**Note: I have been saying all season that I've been running these distances. In reality, I am quickly jogging and/or shuffling on these routes. The real runners drop my ass immediately, and I'm OK with that.**

Anyway, J and I headed out, chatting most of the time and sometimes I was quiet and she put on her music. It was a gorgeous day. A bit of a nip in the air (I wore full tights), but sunny and perfect to finish. My foot felt OK to start, but not great, and progressively started to hurt more throughout the run. I still did the whole thing, even the little hill at the end (and an extra out-and-back in the park to get the full mileage), so that gets chalked up as a win. I think we paced each other really well.

Stats:

Average pace: 10:56 (11:04) min/mi
Distance: 16.09 mi
Time: 2.55.51 (2.58.19).

16 miles never looked so good.


I think I'm going to be all right for the marathon. My foot was really sore and a bit swollen when I got home, so I RICEd it that day and the next. Riding the bike didn't bother it (the snug and stiff-soled shoes helped), so I maintained my usual KSR leadership the next morning. I took the whole of this past week off from running to let my foot rest and heal, and instead rode my bike to school on T and back on W (bad weather on Thursday kept me from doing anything outside besides walk to and from the MARTA stop). The rain boots on Thursday hurt my foot because of pressure on the sore point, but since then it's felt closer and closer to 100%.

Yesterday the TEAM was scheduled to run 18 miles, but I knew that would be too much on a foot that wasn't perfect yet. I had originally planned to do 10 with C, and then 4 on my own, and then, in a fit of good thinking, didn't run at all and instead joined the cycle team for their first GTR of the summer season. I rode 16 easy miles and had no pain whatsoever in my foot during the ride or the rest of the day. My usual KSR this morning also felt good (though with very tired quads), and again, was mostly painless. There is some tenderness, but for the most part I think I'm good to go.

An anonymous Shoe Fairy gifted me a card to Big Peach, so I'm going to consult with the lovely staff there and get new sneaks to run the long days in for the remainder of the season, and I plan to start back with run training again on Tuesday, with whatever the scheduled distance is.

The marathon is SO CLOSE. I can DO THIS.

I'm very excited.

No comments:

Post a Comment