Sunday, March 3, 2013

First week of taper -- no change

Yesterday was our first official week of taper, so we ran "only" 8 miles. Training for an endurance event really warps one's perspective, I've noticed.

We ran out of Galloway School, near Chastain Park, actually turning around at the church we often start from. The reason for the different location was the All-sport GTS, a notorious cluster made worse yesterday by what here passes for snow, a cold and brisk wind, and a decided  lack of sun.

In typical fashion, I misread the directions, adding on an extra 1.25 miles to the route, but newfound running buddy, S, from the Cobb team was indifferent and we kept up pleasant chatter throughout the entire run. At the end we separated, I stretched and changed into cold, dry clothes, and made my way down to the picnic. It was very, very windy, so many people didn't stick around. I was waiting for the cycle team to finish, and they had a rough day. Chastain is located in Buckhead, and I climbed 1300' in 9 miles, so the cycle team, with the added challenge of wind and cold (it's easier to manage those elements on foot), endured hilly routes for 25 miles.

Everyone made it back safe and sound, and it sounded like there were good stories. I'm glad it's over, we've had our share of icky weather the last month, as far as training goes, so I hope that means the weather gods will smile on us for the actual race.

Stats:
Average pace: 10:36 (10:44) min/mi
Distance: 9.25 mi
Time: 1:38:00 (1:39:16)
Elevation: 1,362 ft

I did the run in the new shoes again and had no problems, so I'm feeling pretty good about wearing them on race day. I have to remember not to over-tighten the laces, which is very easy on these shoes. I felt great.

No picture, because I'm forgetful. I could take a photo of what it looks like outside today, because it's the same as yesterday (windy, overcast, "snowy", cold), but there's no human interest in that.

I didn't ride this morning (see the weather, above), but need to get out and do something today. They say it's supposed to be sunny this afternoon, but I'll believe that when I see it.


No comments:

Post a Comment