Sunday, February 20, 2011

"Recovery" Ride - Sunday, 20 February

Today was awesome. It was the first time I really got to ride somewhat selfishly since training began, and it was amazing. We rode out from Kirkwood Public House to Stone Mountain (closely following the path), did a short loop (~5 mi) around the mountain, and then back. I had the option (twice) to lengthen the ride, by either riding to/from the start (+8 mi) or going an extra 15 through Grant Park with the ride leader and another cyclist. I opted out, and am kicking myself a little for it, but I also know it's probably good in some ways to not just go too hard on the first real ride.

Stats:

Maximum speed: 30.6 mph
Average speed: 13.0 mph
Distance: 32.63 mi
Time: 2.29.57

Like I said, a pretty good ride. There was a great mix of hills and flats, of smooth roads and less-smooth roads, and the traffic was at a minimum. Despite the cloudy (and lingering-ly chilly) start to the morning, there was a surprising number of people out and about at the park (and not just cyclists).

Really, it could just be the endorphins talking, but I feel freaking GREAT today and I think it was a spectacular ride with a good group of people. This is what it's all about, folks.

No comments:

Post a Comment