Saturday, June 18, 2011

Two days of Rides - Thursday, 16 June and Saturday, 18 June

I don't have stats for the Thursday ride: as I discovered this morning it was not a battery issue but simply that the wheel magnet was rotated away from the sensor. The ride itself was pretty good, though I was in an incredibly foul mood. I had found out that I had been set back in finishing my thesis for several months because one of my committee members wouldn't listen to me (1) and it took me well over an hour to get to the ride start, instead of the half hour it should have. I really fng hate the traffic here, and I can't believe that anyone finds this acceptable (on a daily basis, no less!) (2). Thank goodness V and D were there, because it is so hard to be in a bad mood around them.

Approximate stats:

Average speed: 15.0 mph
Distance: 15.0 mi
Time: 1.00.00

Today, G and J took a bunch of us chicks (and JD) to pop our Gaps cherries. We warmed up for a short ways and then rode the front three gaps. I really liked the route--it was pretty, the payoff after each climb was fabulous--and it progressed as it should, in that the three climbs got progressively easier and the payoffs got better.

The stats are minus the first mile and a half or so, before I discovered the issue with the wheel magnet.

Stats:

Maximum speed: 41.3 mph
Average speed: 12.4 mph
Distance: 36.94 mi
Time: 2.57.13

I started off feeling kind of sluggish, and it felt like I was riding in sand on every ascent (I kept checking my tires to make sure they weren't flat), but the descents were awesome (though still tiring). Having the memory of a goldfish, by the time we'd gotten to Woody's Gap, I decided that riding the Gaps would totally be something I would want to do again. And, the thing is, now that I've done it I know I can do it, so there's no reason not to do it again. It was a really fun, great day.

No comments:

Post a Comment