Saturday, February 4, 2012

Training Ride - Saturday, 4 February 2012

What a day this has been. We had our first GTR this morning, an approximately 16-miler on the relatively flat roads in Roswell, by the river. Almost the whole team showed up, and leaving the parking lot at the end of a ~50-person line I got an incredible, inspiring look at the team as it was just beginning. I am so excited to see how everyone progresses over the next several months.

Stats:
Maximum speed: (computer said 70.0, I'd believe 35.0)
Average speed: 12.3 mph
Distance: 15.83 mi
Time: 1.16.33

Today and most Saturdays through June aren't about riding fast; they are about riding with the TEAM and being there for the participants. After the great-albeit short-ride today, I think it's going to be an amazing season.

Whew! As if an inspiring start to the morning weren't enough, at the end of the ride I offered up the 6+ dozen cookies I made last night. I had made them because they were promised to any and all people who read the entirety of a lengthy e-mail I sent about mid-week training. Only four people responded via e-mail, but who knew how many people might have read it and were waiting until ride day?

Turns out, no one. The four people got their cookie and, armed with about 70 others, I put them up for sale as a fundraiser. I made 50 bucks out of the deal! I think this is going to be a regular thing, and post-ride nutrition/calories is very important. Next week: cream-cheese brownies, by request.

But WAIT. There's MORE. I did a box pool for tomorrow's Superbowl, where half of the money raised would go towards my fundraising (for a total of $500). I only decided to do the pool this past Sunday, and was incredibly nervous about selling out the boxes. As of this morning, after the GTR, I had 42 or so boxes remaining. So, what did I do? I started cold calling. This lasted for, oh.... many hours. But, it worked. I did it! The pool is ON for tomorrow, rather than having to be rolled over until March Madness. I raised $550 this week! This was very tiring (moreso than the training), as I have been anxious about fundraising this year (as I wrote about in my previous post). I'm feeling better about it, though, because now I'm more than a third of the way there.

I can do this. YOU can do this. Let's all do this together!

No comments:

Post a Comment